LUX* Resorts is a leading group of hotels which strongly believes in sustainable tourism development. It has taken various initiatives in order to achieve same, amongst which the implementation of a Green Committee across the group to handle all environmental and energy saving related activities. LUX Resorts has embarked in a journey towards a carbon clean future through its project "Tread Lightly". Launched in August 2011, "Tread Lightly", is an amalgam of green projects.
To reduce its energy consumption from electricity which is mainly from the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air-conditioning) system, LUX Group has introduced an Energy Management System (EMS). The EMS will also consider the security aspect of each room. The system will also provide professional reports to assess each step towards meeting the set objectives of reducing energy consumption and thus reducing the carbon footprint.
For further monitoring of energy consumption and hence reduction in carbon emission, a Carbon Management Plan (CMP) has been introduced. The CMP consists of actions to be taken by the resorts and the members of the Green Committee at LUX Island Resorts Ltd from each respective entity are responsible to ensure that the actions are well undertaken.
Other initiatives include a laundry reduction project. The group has introduced a "Laundry Asterix" in each of its room with the below messages for the guests:
- Place used towels in the bathtub if you require fresh ones
- Place "me" on your bed if you require fresh sheets
- Don't forget to switch off the light before you leave your room
- The environment will thank you for this
- Find out more about Tread Lightly on : www.treadlightly.com
Thus it is engaging its guests in responsible tourism and in a very diplomatic way.
LUX* is also involved in other activities like:
- Packaging / Bottling. It is to be noted that LUX* has taken the voluntary initiative of using only local water. It hence minimizes the transport energy consumption, which in turns reduces CO2 emissions. It makes use of packaging which can be recycled and reused.
- Recycling (In collaboration with its partner Mauritius Glass Gallery Ltd and other local companies).
- Purchasing Policy: The Group sees to it that products purchased are in line with environment protection norms.
- Anti-Littering, Beach Cleaning, Lagoon cleaning and working with schools.
- Composting. LUX* has its own herbs, vegetables and fruit gardens where it makes use of same for part of its Food & Beverage products and services. It is hence al so engaged in composting to avoid use of chemicals and fertilizers.
- Reusing of grey water for irrigation purposes.
- Tree Planting / Coral Planting: The Group is also involved in Tree planting & Coral Planting activities in order to counteract the deforestation and increasing carbon dioxide issues.
- Awareness, Education and Sensitisation (In collaboration with its Training Academy).
- Participating in surveys and sharing knowledge with University students.
- Audits: The Group has a Quality Assurance Manager in each resort to ensure that products used are as per the norms. For example, the paper used is certified ISO 9001:2008; ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 9706.
- Constantly Evaluates and controls consumption of water, energy, gas and diesel.
- To use only environment-friendly products and cleaning agents.
- Participates in events like Earth Hour, World Environment day, Rio+20, amongst others.
- To work jointly with organizations working on environmental projects.
The Group is also working in collaboration with NGOs like Ecosud for planting of Mangroves along coastal regions with the participation of different schools. It is also supporting Mission Verte in its recycling strategy and sensitization process.